Acorus gramineus part1
Inspired by years of research on dementia, we started to make perfumes. Although this perfume is not a medicine to prevent or treat dementia right away, we have looked hard for ingredients that can help the brain's health as a raw material for perfume. There were several plants that we learned in the process, and one of which was the Acorus gramineus.
We focused on this plant to make our first perfume. It has been reported to have quite a lot of effects and we would like to take a look at that part in this article.
Previous studies about Acorus gramineus say that it has a positive effect on improvement in learning capacity, memory, Alzheimer's disease, amnesia, and in addition to that it is helpful to bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia, epilepsy, and convulsion. Also in many experiments, the effectiveness of healing and protecting the brain nerves which are damaged by stroke or toxic materials have been observed.
Referring to these studies of Acorus gramineus, we used it to create various fragrance combinations for perfume. And we tested which scent has the highest satisfaction by the people who participated in the experiment, and also tested what effects it had if the perfume was used continuously. We made a meaningful achievement as a start and applied for a patent based on it.
Patent application number (PCT/KR2021/000992)
The important components contained in Acorus gramineus are as follows.
- 'Asarone': A directional component that aids the cerebral neural transmission to improve memory and mitigate amnesia. Also makes the body and mind stabilized and soothe excitement.
- 'eugenol', 'β-asanol': A component that is helpful to protect Alzheimer's dementia through protecting the cranial nerve by blocking calcium influx to brain cells.
Let’s take a closer look at the research results on the various effects of Acorus gramineus.
The result of a study which examined the effect of 'asarone' to the excitotoxicity of neuron revealed that it suppresses neurotoxicity strongly.
In the test of improvement of forgetfulness, taking Acorus gramineus makes damaged cells recover significantly and decrease cholinergic activity loss in the hippocampus. As a result, we can see that it works for soothing learning and memory loss.
Some studies examine the anti-dementia effect. They injected the extracts from Acorus gramineus around artificially generated glioblastoma' cells body and found that it restricted the dendrite of them and protected neuron, so the extracts from Acorus gramineus can be used for various brain disease like dementia.
It is effective in relaxing mental stress or tension caused by excessive work, and the result of preceding research has shown that it is likely to get rid of psychosocial stress by reducing corticosterone in the blood.
The explanation in Korean traditional medicine is also worth paying close attention to. In Korean traditional medicine, the head is where the fresh energy is focused. And there is a phenomenon called 'Dam' in which bad energy is accumulated and changed, not being emitted. When fresh energy can't get to the head and Dam(Seupdam) is accumulated, on the contrary, it is said that the consciousness is getting confused and the mind becomes dull. Since Acorus gramineus has to efficacy to rid of the spasm and bore through the blockage, it has often been called upon to cure memory loss, dementia, amnesia, mental instability, insomnia, epilepsy, heat cramps, stupor, and when the head feels stuffed by flowing clear energy into one's head.
There is an interesting prescription to talk about in Korean traditional medicine. The prescription of 'ChogmyungTang' that is compounded with Acorus gramineus is popular with the students who prepare for the university entrance exam. In fact, as for Acorus gramineus itself, it has an improving effect on brain memory and developing clear thinking. With the addition of extra herbs such as Wonji and Boxin, it makes the most of its medicinal benefits.
- Jo Jung-Ok, Kim Sun-Min, Kim Kyong-Su.1999.Analysis of Asarone, Coumarin and Thujone in Medicinal Plants Used in Brewing a Korean Traditional Folk Wine
- Hong Sunhwa, Kim Dong-Woo, Choi Yeon-Shik, Kim Da-Seul, Kim Okjin.2016. Effect of Acorus gramineus Water Extract on the Blood Lipid Profiles in High Fat Diet-fed Mice
- Kim Dong-Chan.2018.In Silico Analysis and Molecular Docking Comparison of Mosquito Oviposition Pheromone and Beta-asarone on the Mosquito Odorant Binding Protein-1
- Jung, K. Y., Kho, B. H. and Song, I. B. 1999. The Bibiographical investigation of effect of acorus gramineus soland. J. Sasang Const. Med. 11, 242-251.
- Mythili, A. M. N., Immanuel, S. C., Rajasekharan, P. E., Rajasekharan, C., Tharachand, C., Rao, V. K. and Munirajappa, H. (2013) HPLC profiling of β-asarone content and cytogenetic studies of medicinally important Indian Acorus calamus l. Int. J. pharm. Sci. 22: 73-78.
- Kim Nam-Seok, Lee Kyu-Hee, Kim Tae-Ho , Bae Jin-Bum, Kim Sun-Geun, Jeon Hoon, Lim Jong-Phil, Shin Tae-Yong, Lee Chang-Hyun, Jeong Seung-Il. 2007.Immuno-regulatory and Anti-cancer Effect of Acorus gramineus Solander
- Yan Li, Xi-Le Zhang, Yan-Ran Huang, Yan-Yan Zheng, Guo-Qing Zheng , and Li-Ping Zhang.2020.Extracts or Active Components from Acorus gramineus Aiton for Cognitive Function Impairment: Preclinical Evidence and Possible Mechanisms